Re: [Monotone-devel] Contributed scripts and how to handle them...

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Contributed scripts and how to handle them...
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:04:35 -0500

CooSoft Support <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> CooSoft Support <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> 2) Cross-platform issues, e.g. could I even run diff -r on say a
>>> Windows platform?
>>
>> Yes. Compiling monotone on Windows requires MinGW, which provides bash
>> and gnu coreutils. So just pretend you are on a POSIX system.
>>
> Excellent - will write the tests accordingly.

Ok.

> Interesting about requiring MinGW, I thought they used MS Visual
> studio.

see monotone/INSTALL_windows_native.txt; MS Visual studio is experimental.

> Ok will do that and if necessary the platform tests can be put in if
> all else fails.

Right.

> I assume that a standard Perl interpreter is included in the Windows
> build environment (that is what the script is written in)?

I have a beef about people using the word "standard" in this way; is
there an actual ISO or national standard for Perl? Or do you just mean
"Perl from some normal place, not customized". We need more terms for
this. We have "international standard", "national standard", "industry
standard". I don't think Perl is any of those? It's just a common package.

Yes, MinGW has perl. It's not mentioned in
monotone/INSTALL_windows_native.txt, but it is in my environment, so
it's available. It may be installed by the core MinGW installer.

--
-- Stephe