Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: uploading and tagging version 5.2.0?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 19:05:58 -0500

On 1/28/20 2:50 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

which is exactly what I would have hoped to see for this release as
well.

Personally, I would prefer that the stable branch builds version 5.1.91
or 5.1.92 until a single commit changes the version to 5.2.0, followed
by a commit that tags it, followed by another that changes the version
to 5.2.1. This is how we decided to do it starting with version 5.1.0.

For example, this sequence of commits for version 5.1.0 updated the
version, tagged the release, and updated the version again

   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d05d6eebde10
   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d9316571d91
   https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/5d27954485ed

I agree and would also prefer to see this sequence of commits in the mercurial archive for a releases. But I won't worry too much about it if the commits in the archive don't happen in exactly this sequence. The important thing for me is that the release that is tagged in the mercurial archive is exactly what was used to create the tar file that is distributed from ftp.gnu.org. We should know which revision to use to recreate the files on ftp.gnu.org from the mercurial sources if needed.