pan-users

[Pan-users] Authentication and upgrade paths (was: ANN: Pan 0.90 "Sero S

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] Authentication and upgrade paths (was: ANN: Pan 0.90 "Sero Sed Serio")
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 00:27:38 -0500 (CDT)

> Looks great, Charles!

Thanks! :)

> A few things that popped up while I was working with it here:
>
> 1.  NNTP authentication not used unless server requires it (bug #333216 in
> bugzilla) - I had reported this in the CVS 0.14.2 series (not in the
> "released" version, which I currently use).  I had been previously
> reported this in the 0.8 or 0.7 timeframe and it was fixed, but the fix
> appears to not have been carried forward with the NNTP engine rewrite.

Attached is a patch for this.

> 2.  With leafnode, I never can get a list of groups.  Not sure why yet -
> debug output isn't helping much with this, though.  I can telnet to
> localhost 119 and list the groups by hand fine, so it's not a leafnode
> configuration issue.  (I figured leafnode would be a temporary workaround
> to issue #1)

Uncommenting the lines containing `LINE_ID' in tasks/socket-impl-gio.cc
will give you more helpful debugging info.

> 3.  In attempting to build the RPM, the "CREDITS" file is missing and that
> prevents the RPM from building.  Easy workaround (create the file in the
> source tree or remove the reference in the spec file) and it builds an RPM
> properly.

Fixed, thanks.

> 4.  The spec file doesn't supercede older installed versions, but the RPM
> does overwrite the installed pan executable in /usr/bin.  I know just
> enough about building RPMs to be dangerous, so I'm not sure how to correct
> this.  Since it creates a '.pan2' directory to store its files, perhaps
> the binary should also be called 'pan2' so as to not conflict with the
> earlier release (which should allow both to be run concurrently)?  The
> package also could then be "pan2" rather than "pan" to avoid the conflict.

I'm going to plead ignorance here.  Would it be better for the spec file
to say that 0.9x supercedes older installed versions?  I don't see much
point in keeping both versions around, at least after the crasher bugs
are shaken out of 0.9x.

> 5.  As others indicated, a way to migrate existing settings from 0.14.x to
> 0.90 would be great.  Could this possibly be done using newsrc files?

Users can move newsrc files over by hand, but since that's the _only_
overlap between the two versions' data formats, there's not much to be
gained from automating it.