pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Authentication and upgrade paths (was: ANN: Pan 0.90 "Se

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Authentication and upgrade paths (was: ANN: Pan 0.90 "Sero Sed Serio")
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:55:17 -0700

Jim Henderson posted <address@hidden>,
excerpted below,  on Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:08:01 -0600:

> I'm assuming things like scoring and rules work a little differently as
> well, so they may not translate properly either - so being able to
> compare two running installations would definitely make that easier.  I
> do notice that the Score file from 0.14.x is parsed during startup of
> 0.90, though.

Scores... are fairly standardized.  The scoring code, like the newsrc
code, was designed to make use of a common format.  The new code may or
may not honor more or less items now, but the format of the file should be
the same since it's one a number of similar apps use.  Thus, where it can
use the data it will, where it can't, it should just ignore it, provided
it's in the standard format so it can still parse it well enough to figure
out where stuff begins and ends, meaning parsing the same file should be
just fine.

(That's without any specific knowledge of the new code, only knowing the
general origin and reason behind the original format.)