pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.90 "Sero Sed Serio"

From: Brian Morrison
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.90 "Sero Sed Serio"
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 13:53:22 +0100

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 11:16 -0500, Charles Kerr wrote:
>> Pan 0.90, the first beta of a rewrite of Pan in C++, has been released.
>> It adds multiserver and nzb support, reduces memory use by over 66%, cuts
>> the time to download new headers over 66%, and slashes the time it takes
>> to load headers from disk by almost 90%.  For more information, see
>> http://pan.rebelbase.com/.
>>
>> If anyone would like to contribute RPMs for the major distros, please send
>> me or Chris mail at address@hidden  Thanks!
>>
>> cheers,
>> Charles
>>
> Glad to see this Charles.
> There seems to be a problem for me though. (Actually 2 problems since it
> won't compile for me on either of my systems). This is about the FC4
> i386 system (the second is an FC5 x86_64 system).
>
> When trying to fun the ./configure the message I get is
> ---------------------------------
>
> checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0
>> = 2.4.0) were not met:
>
> No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> -------------------------------------
> address@hidden pan-0.90]$ rpm -qa gtk\*
> gtk+-1.2.10-39
> gtk-doc-1.3-2
> gtkspell-2.0.7-3
> gtkhtml3-3.6.2-1
> gtkhtml-1.1.9-11
> gtksourceview-1.2.0-1
> gtkhtml2-2.6.3-1
> gtk2-engines-2.6.3-2
> gtk-engines-0.12-7
> gtk2-2.6.10-2.fc4.4
> address@hidden pan-0.90]$
> ---------------------------------
>
> Fedora (and maybe others) renamed gtk+-2.X to the gtk2 package so it is
> installed and at the 2.6.10 version, just with a different package name
>

> How do I configure it so it can actually compile on this system

Odd, I was able to build an rpm from 0.90 without too much grief on FC4.
I installed the 0.14.2.91-3.fc4 src rpm, then edited the spec file to
change the version and remove the CREDITS file from the packaging
section and it just worked for me. Needed a few -devel packages first to
satisfy the BuildRequires: directives though, but no complaints about
gtk at all.

--

Brian Morrison

address@hidden