pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: 0.92 amd64

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: 0.92 amd64
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:38:43 -0700

Thomas Stein posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:34:32 +0200:

> Hello.
>
> I am not able to compile pan-0.92 on my amd64 (64bit) machine. At some point
> during the compilation the compilation stops, all my memory gets used and
> then my machine hangs or sometimes it even reboots. Im on 64bit gentoo.
> Someone knows whats causing this? Do you need mor debug output?
>
> System uname: 2.6.16.2 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
> Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
> dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
> sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
> sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
> sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
> sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
> sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
> virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2

It compiled and runs just fine on mine, also Gentoo AMD64.  Did you use
the (masked) ebuild in the tree, or try to compile independently of
portage?  There are a couple patches in the in-tree version.  I just
unmasked it and it worked. =8^)  (0.92 is still lacking certain
customizations I depend on, however, at least one of which, pane layout
rearrangement, should be in 0.93 according to Charles, so I mainly did the
0.92 just to see that it successfully compiled and ran.)

Do note that I'm running ~amd64, however, and have unmasked gcc-4.1.0 and
am running it as my main system compiler.  (I use eselect compiler to
switch back to gcc-4.0 or 3.4.5 when necessary, but it's seldom
necessary.)

Also note since you ran out of memory that I'm running 8 gig, altho I
doubt that's the issue as it didn't seem to excessively run up my memory
in use while compiling.  (Less than 2 gig required certain, a gig should
be fine, less than a gig I couldn't say as that's below what I would have
noticed while compiling.)  I even run PORTAGE_TMPDIR in a RAM based tmpfs,
for faster compiles, so if it needed serious memory (> 1G), I should have
noticed it.

If you tried compiling outside of portage, and you don't have Gnome
merged, it's likely you missed some of the dependencies.  I know the
ebuild version had several dependencies it wanted merged before I could
merge the new PAN.  If you didn't try the ebuild, I'd suggest doing so,
because you now know that worked for me.

Here's most of my emerge --info (minus local paths, mirror settings, and
the like, lines rewrapped).  You'll note a number of differences there, as
I did even against the smaller subset you posted above.

Portage 2.1_pre7-r5 (default-linux/amd64/2006.0,
 gcc-4.1.0, glibc-2.4-r1, 2.6.17-rc1 x86_64)

System uname: 2.6.17-rc1 x86_64 AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 242
 Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre17

ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.91.0.7
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"

CFLAGS="-march=k8 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers
 -funit-at-a-time -fweb -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition
 -ftree-pre -fmerge-all-constants"

CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -frename-registers
-funit-at-a-time -fweb -freorder-blocks -ftree-pre -fmerge-all-constants"

FEATURES="autoconfig buildpkg candy ccache confcache distlocks
multilib-strict parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict userfetch"

LANG="en_US"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j6 -l5"

USE="amd64 7zip X a52 aac acpi alsa amr apm arts asf audiofile avi
bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 caps cdparanoia cdr cli crypt
css ctype cups curl dba dga divx4linux dlloader dri dts dv dvd dvdr
dvdread eds emboss encode expat extrafilters fam fame fastbuild ffmpeg
flac font-server foomaticdb force-cgi-redirect ftp gd gdbm gif
glibc-omitfp gpm gstreamer gtk2 idn imagemagick imlib isdnlog ithreads jp2
jpeg jpeg2k kde kdeenablefinal lcms libwww linuxthreads-tls lm_sensors
logitech-mouse logrotate lzo lzw lzw-tiff mad maildir memlimit mikmod
mjpeg mng motif mp3 mp4 mpeg musicbrainz ncurses network no-old-linux
nolvm1 nomirrors nptl nptlonly offensive ogg openexr opengl oss pam pcre
pdflib perl pic png posix ppds pppd profile python qt quicktime radeon
readline scanner session simplexml slang soap sockets speex spell spl ssl
tcltk theora threads tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1
type1-fonts usb userlocales vcd vorbis x264 xcomposite xine xinerama xml
xml2 xmms xosd xpm xrandr xsl xv xvid yv12 zlib elibc_glibc
input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse kernel_linux linguas_en
userland_GNU video_cards_ati"

Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL

I'm guessing the problem is one of four things:

(1) Missing a dep that the ebuild took care of for me.  This one's likely
/not/ the issue if you use GNOME.

(1a) Missing a dep that's merged but wasn't detected as your environment
wasn't setup to do so.  More likely with GNOME, but again, should be
solved by using the ebuild.

(2) A difference in CXXFLAGS.  The usual advice to cut back to a very
basic "-march=k8 -O2 -pipe" if you have problems applies.  Note here that
unless you have them exported in your environment, your normal portage
CFLAGS wouldn't be used if you didn't use the ebuild.  It would have used
a different, default set, which I've never verified to be suitable, but
which probably uses a default "-march=x86_64" (not amd64 specific, not
intel crap specific either, generic), and no optimization, which could
affect things.

(3) One of the ebuild included patches may be necessary on Gentoo.  (This
reminds me that I should check those.  I think there are two.  One or both
may be useful for Charles to include upstream, after which Gentoo won't
need it.)

(4) The version of gcc and/or binutils.