pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:25:05 +0000 (UTC)

Kurt Schilling posted on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 04:46:02 -0400 as excerpted:

> Yes, NSR is still alive. The newsgroup tends to be relatively active on
> a day to day basis. However, the regulars tend to be pretty much
> "anti-PAN" since the re-write to C++ primarily because of the lack of
> granular scoring.

??

Granularity indicates grains, division into discreet quantities, as
opposed to unitary or continuously divisible.  (A more modern description
might be digital, as opposed to analog.)

I don't really see how that can be accurately said of pan's scoring,
since it indeed has effective scoring granularity in units of one from
-9999 to +9999.  Pan certainly has scoring related deficiencies,
deficiencies, including as has been discussed here many times, the
ability to do anything practical with scores (automatic delete/mark-read/
download based on score, presumably ignore/negative/watch, respectively,
by default), and the ability to score at all based on the body or whole
message (scoring based on non-overview headers was added by khaley fairly
recently, but there's no GUI for it; it's only possible vie direct
scorefile editing), but those deficiencies wouldn't appear to relate to
scoring granularity in any way that I can figure.  There's /way/ more
flexibility in that regard than people are ever likely to use, in
practice.