pengfork-devel

[Pengfork-devel] Improvements

From: Nicolas Burrus
Subject: [Pengfork-devel] Improvements
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:28:45 +0200

Hello, I think I'm inaugurating this mailing list :)

Since the projects seems to have a new start, I have some features
suggestions (I have already done partially some of them in my hacked version
of pengaol 1.0 beta) :

Clean up the code
=============

1) Indentation is awful, maybe should use GNU coding style ?

2) Many things are in hard in the code, such as configuration files path,
etc ... it should be set by the configure scripts.

3) C-style syntax for I/O, it is c++, so it should use std::cout, etc ...
instead of C printf. Same things for list, stl lists are more adapted.

4) Command line options parsing : would be better and more standard with
getopt.

5) Use autoconf & automake exclusively, I don't see the utility of the
recompile script ! ./configure --prefix=/opt/pengaol-1.0 && make && make
install should work and install binaries in /opt/pengaol-1.0/bin.

6) Comments should be in english everywhere.

7) Clean up logging messages, add syslog handling, etc ...

8) Clean the source tree, directories are not well chosen I think, peng/peng
for the sources should be peng/src for example.

9) Make pengui a separated projects, maybe a subdirectory, I think most
people want a light version of pengaol by default.

New features

1) Make daemon mode beeing a real one, backgrounding the process, etc ...

2) Add --disconnect option which kill existing pengaol session

3) Check running version with a /var/run/pengaol.pid file or thinks like that.

Ok, I stop here for my first ideas, I wait for feedback :)

--
Nicolas Burrus