pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] Improvements

From: Jean-Charles Salzeber
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] Improvements
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:51:51 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 23:20, Nicolas Burrus wrote:

> I have nothing against C :) I think too it is a better langage for this kind
> of application, I just didn't know you wanted to rewrite all from scratch,
> but it's a good idea, I think the only really good things to extract for
> pengaol is the AOL protocol, compression, etc ... but it needs a complete
> rebuild.

True, actually, I've completly rebuild the modem driver, make some basic
configuration functions.
Now, I'm trying to make the AOL protocol working...
I've made types, basic functions for sending/receiving packets... it
seems to work.
I can initialize the protocol and log into the server.

I will now try to make the IP functions working. It doesn't seem to be
so hard...

> BTW, the portability problems won't mainly come from the language I think
> (c++
> is quite portable), but from the OS's particularity with low level system
> calls ...

Yes, the main difficulty is the interface, see below...

> > I think a third-party 'pengctl' program could be used to disconnect.
> > This program could also start peng, have some statistics information, and
> > could be used to control peng with the GUI and eventually others
> > third-party programs like an email/newgroups/... wrapper.
>
> Ok, why not, it would be nice.
>
> An idea just come to me, would it be possible to make a kernel module
> implementing the AOL ppp protocol, and then use pengaol as an higher level
> program interfacing modem, cable, etc ... with this driver ? I'm not familiar
> at all with kernel ppp stuff, so my idea is certainly impracticable, but I
> think it merits some investigation, isn't it ? And in this case, is it
> impossible to use pppd, maybe with a little patch ?

I've thinked about some possibility for the IP interface:
  * As in previous version, use tun interface:
       + Very easy to implement
       + This choice is logic, AOL use a tunneling protocol
       - Only portable on Linux/*BSD/Solaris(2.6,7.0,8.0)

  * use BPF on any interface:
       + We could use any existing interface
       + Would work on several systems
       - It is a bit tricky

  * Completly re-encapsulating IP under ppp and launch pppd:
       + we could use existing code & program (pppd)
       + Would be extremly portable
       - Need much work to implement (I think...?)
       - would be more CPU intensive

  * Making a kernel module:
       + would be clean (AOL make this for windows)
       - definitively *not* portable

To be continued... (some other ideas?)

So, for now I'm planning to use the tun interface, it will make my life
easier ;)
But for the long time, BPF and the re-encapsulation on top of PPP would
be good choices (but I don't know if the last one is possible).

I've also heard that the last AOL protocol (version 7.0) is a modified
PPP, so here we could make a patch to pppd and use it. It would be nice!
For the version 3.0 (in peng), I don't think a patch is possible, this
protocol has really nothing to do with PPP.

> PS: I have some trouble with my mail server, hope you won't receive the mail
> twice.
Not a problem for my procmail & formail rules :)

> --
> Nicolas Burrus

JC