pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] Improvements

From: Jean-Charles Salzeber
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] Improvements
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:08:35 +0200

Why are you using french here?
I think it's a bad idea to rectrict the project to french developpers.
Yes, presently, there are just french developpers, but as I know there
are german & american users, so international developpers will come if
we make an effort to speak english.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 07:53, lordheavy wrote:

> Je ne pense pas que ce serait judicieux. D'après ce que j'ai vu, pengaol
> semble fonctionner de cette manière :
>
>         Modem (rtc,isdn) <--> pengaol <--> ppp (kernel)
>
> En fin de compte il n'utilise pas du tout pppd, il le remplace (pour aol),
> c'est enquelque sorte un "pppdpengaol".

Yes, this is how I see it too. But for portability reason it's not a bad
idea to make it an "aol2ppp" tunnel. But as I said it would be not easy.

>         Aol utilise des paquets IP modifiés, avec ajout de fonctionnalités
> (semble
> t-il).

IP packet are not modified (except for headers compression), they're
just encapsulated into another protocol.
This seems to be a 2 level protocol:
  The first one is used in every data send to aol (init, login, welcome
page, TCP/IP, forms description I think...). It is a reliable protocol, every
packet is ordered and checksumed.
  The second is for IP, it handle IP config, sending/receiving IP
packets, etc...

>         Je vous encourage a vous référencer sur savannah pour vous inscrire
> en
> tant
> que membres de l"équipe de devel. (jc et nicolas). Il conviendrait de décider
> quoi mettre sur le cvs, la version de birdy ou celle de JC (ma préférence).

Ok, my login is 'chupa', put me in the developpers of pengfork.
I will release a version soon to start working if you want.

>         Nico, si tu as corrigé peng, crée une archive qu'il suffiras de
> nommer
> peng-1.0-bugfix par ex, pour le mettre sur le site (fait aussi un changelog)

Good idea.

> Laurent

JC