Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] registration app and choice of personal_in

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] registration app and choice of personal_info template
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:11:20 +1100

Hi pplz,

The internationalization and regionalization is a great idea, not only
for registration, but for calendar also.

In the new year our phpgw setup will go from 12 users inhouse to around
100 users nationally in about 15 locations.  As each Australian state
is rather paroachical, they can't agree on public holidays.  This has
meant that I have had to delete quite a few holidays that not truely
national (they vary by a day or so), then set them as appointments for
users.  I am guessing that it is worse in the US.

You could allow time zones to also be assigned to the regions and
define daylights savings date ranges.  This would make it easy for the
timezone off set also - a country and region could be defaulted in the
default preferences section but could optionally be over written by the
user unless it was a forced option.

Skeeter and everyone else probably has enough on their plate, but I
thought I would suggest it anyway.

Keep up the great work

skwashd
Dave Hall
>Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:00:05 -0500
>From: Jason Wies <address@hidden>
>To: address@hidden
>Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] registration app and choice of
>personal_info template
>
>Hopefully this is what you were getting at by "international".
>
>I would suggest making a single form that works for both US and
>international users.  This is very possible.  Suggestions include:
>
>* 5 spaces per phone number part, ie:
>       XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
>* Free form postal code
>       Can include alphanumeric and whitespace
>* Use UN country, region, and city codes available at:
>       http://www.unece.org/cefact/download/downmain.htm
>
>The UN codes are based on ISO 3166, but go much deeper.  They include
> all countries and a very large number of cities (32,000+).  Regions
> are only available for 14 or so countries, which is the only thing
> stoping it from being "the" electronic geography reference, as far as
> I know.
>
>I would go so far as to recommend using them for all of phpGroupWare.
>Not having regions for all countries is a bit of a pain, but not too
> much to overcome technically.
>
>You can implement the geography "drill down" on the registration form
>with JavaScript onSelect, and a <NOSCRIPT> button, or add more steps.
>
>Jason Wies aka Zone
>address@hidden
>
>On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 04:14:30AM -0700, Jim Foster wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> This is a question regarding the registration application.
>>
>> I am using it for a client's site that is composed of both general
>> public areas and areas that require registration in order to access
>> those areas. Works like a charm! (Thanks go to Jason for helping me
>> get started with it).
>>
>> Now the request from my client is to allow for internationalization
>> on the registration form. In my opinion, an international form mixed
>> in with one for the US is a real mess. Best approach is to fork
>> either national or international. My thought is to put radio buttons
>> for national / international on the opening page that asks for a
>> login name, and for the registration app to pull up a
>> personal_info_national.tpl --OR-- a personal_info_international.tpl
>> in uireg.step2, depending, of course,  on the user's radio button
>> select.
>>
>> Question: Is the registration app architecture such as to allow for
>> such choice without a massive code rewrite? or must I consider
>> other, less elegant options?
>>
>> Thanks much in advance!
>>
>> Jim

It is automatic log-in and notification.
 It is the all NEW mBeeper!
http://www.mbox.com.au/mbeeper