Review of Pingus

From: Tacvek
Subject: Review of Pingus
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:56:03 -0400

Shortly after the release of the windows .exe file with gettext support, I assembled all the game's files on my WinXP. This was done by downloading the old version, extracting it, then replacing the old windows .exe with the new one. I replaced the data direcory with the one from cvs, tried it, but it complained about missing a dll, and so I downloaded the win32 binaries needed by clanlib. I extracted all of the dlls and exes. After that I tried running the game. It worked.

I found that the game had a very polished feel that is *very* rare in an open source game. The graphics were a major facto in this feel. In fact there is no comparison between this and the older version.

Now onto the bad news, there are 2 problems with the game. First, it will suddenly exit without error message when certain windows events occur. These events include reciveing an IM with MSN Messenger. (I think it is the flashing askbar button.) [This might actually be a coincidence, and actually be part of the second problem.]
the game will occasionally, for no apperent reason, suddenly terminate, without error.

Also clicking on the pingus taskbar after 'alt-tab'ing out closes the game like this.

Rating ignoring the windows problems: 9.5/10