qemu-devel

Re: ui/cocoa.m compile error

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: ui/cocoa.m compile error
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:44:39 +0000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 at 23:47, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@livius.net> wrote:

> > On 8 Jan 2022, at 00:16, Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > ... In this
> > specific case, NSPasteboardTypeOwner seems to be part of
> > an API introduced in 10.14 (Mojave).
>
> Thank you for the details, this explains the error.
>
> > So the upstream answer, I'm afraid, is that you should
> > upgrade to a newer macOS version.
>
> Unfortunately this is not possible. :-(
>
> I'm producing cross-platform and cross-version binaries, which means unique
> binaries based on a bit older release that are expected to run on all more
> recent releases. For macOS I just upgraded the base from 10.10 to 10.13. For
> Linux I upgraded from Ubuntu 12 (kept for compatibility with RedHat 7) to
> Ubuntu 18.

I think if your policy for minimum-supported-platforms is
different from and goes back further than upstream you're
likely to run into this kind of issue from time to time,
not just on macOS. On Linux this tends to take the form
of dropping support for older versions of various dependencies
and compilers. Ubuntu 18 is still in upstream's set of
supported distros, but when the new LTS releases later this
year then 18 will no longer be in the supported set.

thanks
-- PMM