qemu-devel

Re: ui/cocoa.m compile error (Cocoa -> SDL)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: ui/cocoa.m compile error (Cocoa -> SDL)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:06:41 +0000

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 12:52, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@livius.net> wrote:

> Then perhaps it is a misunderstanding from my part, if I try to start the
> vexpress-a9 machine using the line copied from Thomas' presentation, the
> console shows, it prints "Guest has not initialized the display yet" using
> the PC-like font, than it crashes with:
>

> ```
> Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
>
> Application Specific Information:
> *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception
> 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'NSWindow drag regions should
> only be invalidated on the Main Thread!'
> abort() called
> terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

This is newer versions of macOS being stricter about enforcing that
some operations are only permitted on the correct thread. Older versions
let QEMU/SDL get away with doing them on the "wrong" thread, which
all happened to work. We had to do some reworking of the cocoa UI
code to handle a similar issue.

> If you think that --with-sdl should work on macOS too, I can try
> to investigate, perhaps it is only a small mistake somewhere.

It looks like it's "code would need to be updated to fix the
problems that newer macOS complains about", which nobody has done.
(I think this is probably code within QEMU, rather than code
within libSDL itself.)

-- PMM