qemu-devel

Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:44:16 +0000

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 11:40:42AM +0100, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 9. März 2022 11:05:02 CET Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> > Not sure what you have in mind. I'm totally new to the macOS/Darwin
> > world, and have no choice but to use it as primary workstation and
> > for CI builds, so I can help with overall testing / maintenance.
> >
> > Peter, since you take some macOS patches, would you like to maintain
> > this officially? Since I doubt you want to take yet another
> > responsibility, what about having a co-maintained section, including
> > technical expertise from Akihiko / Joelle / Christian? (Cc'ed)
> >
> > Regards,
>
> Also CCing Cameron on this, just in case someone at Apple could spend some
> slices on QEMU macOS patches in general as well.
>
> As for my part: I try to help out more on the macOS front. As there's now
> macOS host support for 9p I have to start QEMU testing on macOS locally
> anyway. Too bad that macOS CI tests on Github are no longer available BTW.

Note QEMU gets macOS CI coverage in GitLab. We use a clever trick by
which we use 'cirrus-run' from the GitLab job to trigger a build in
Cirrus CI's macOS builders, and pull the results back when its done.

Any contributor can get this working on their QEMU fork too, if they
configure the needed Cirrus CI API token. See the docs in

   .gitlab-ci.d/cirrus/README.rst

This is enough for build + automated tests.

Obviously of limited use for testing UI functionality or general host
OS integration like audio, which pretty much requires access to a real
machine for a maintainer to use interactively.

Regards,
Daniel