qemu-devel

Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)

From: Christian Schoenebeck
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 14:51:21 +0100

On Freitag, 11. März 2022 10:26:47 CET Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 10:13:24AM +0100, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> > On Donnerstag, 10. März 2022 12:40:06 CET Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> > > +Stefan for overall project resources.

> > > Not that trivial, first you need to figure out the list of dependencies
> > > GitLab images come with, then you realize you need 50GiB+ of available
> > > storage a single pipeline (due to all the Docker images pulled / built)
> > > and you also need a decent internet link otherwise various jobs timeout
> > > randomly, then you have to wait 20h+ with a quad-core CPU / 16GiB RAM,
> >
> > Considering that CI jobs currently take about 1 hour on Gitlab, which
> > processor generation are you referring to that would take 20 hours?
>
> You're not taking into account parallelism. The GitLab pipeline takes
> 1 hour wallclock time, which is not the same as 1 hour CPU time. We
> probably have 20+ jobs running in parallel on gitlab, as they get
> farmed out to many machines. If you have only a single machine at your
> disposal, then you'll have much less prallelism, so overall time can
> be much longer.
>
> > > and eventually you realize you lost 3 days of your life to not register
> > > your CC which you'll be forced to give anyway.
> >
> > It's an obstacle. And that keeps people away. Plus the trend seems to be
> > that free CI services disappear one by one, so I am not so sure that
> > giving your credit card once solves this issue for good.
>
> The CC requirement there is primarily to act as an identity check
> on accounts, so they have some mechanism to discourage and/or trace
> abusive users. You can use it to purchase extra CI time, but they've
> stated multiple times their intention to continue to grant free CI
> time to open source projects and their contributors. They are actively
> discussing their plans with a number of open source project contributors
> including myself on behalf of QEMU, to better understand our needs. I
> outlined my current understanding of their intentions here:
>
>  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2022-02/msg03962.html

Please send an announcement (in subject) and/or CC maintainers if there are
any news on this topic. This discussion went completely unseen on my end.

> > > Long term maintainers don't realize that because they had the luxury to
> > > open their GitLab account soon enough and are now privileged.
> >
> > Would it be possible to deploy all CI jobs via Cirrus-CI?
>
> Not unless you want to wait 10 hours for the pipeline to finish. Cirrus
> CI only lets you run 2 jobs at a time. It also doesn't have any integrated
> container registry which we rely on for creatnig our build env.

For the vast majority of contributors that would be absolutely fine. What
matters is running tests for the various architectures. Average response time
on submitted patches is much longer than 10 hours. Still better than not
running CI tests at all.

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck