qemu-devel

Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: MAINTAINERS: macOS host support (was: MAINTAINERS: take edk2)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 11:07:48 +0000

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 12:00:35PM +0100, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 9. März 2022 12:44:16 CET Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> > > Also CCing Cameron on this, just in case someone at Apple could spend some
> > > slices on QEMU macOS patches in general as well.
> > >
> > > As for my part: I try to help out more on the macOS front. As there's now
> > > macOS host support for 9p I have to start QEMU testing on macOS locally
> > > anyway. Too bad that macOS CI tests on Github are no longer available BTW.
> >
> > Note QEMU gets macOS CI coverage in GitLab. We use a clever trick by
> > which we use 'cirrus-run' from the GitLab job to trigger a build in
> > Cirrus CI's macOS builders, and pull the results back when its done.
> >
> > Any contributor can get this working on their QEMU fork too, if they
> > configure the needed Cirrus CI API token. See the docs in
> >
> >    .gitlab-ci.d/cirrus/README.rst
> >
> > This is enough for build + automated tests.
>
> Does this mean that people no longer have to pull their credit card just for
> running CI tests on Gitlab?

Not really. The CC validation is something GitLab have had to force
onto all new accounts due to cryptominer abuse of their free shared
CI runners :-( If you have VMs somewhere you could theoretically
spin up your own CI runners instead of using the shared runners and
that could avoid the CC validation need.

> And as this approach seems to use an indirection with Cirrus CI via Github.
> Will it be sufficient to just run QEMU CI jobs on Github?
>
> Why have the previously existing QEMU CI jobs been pulled from Github anyway?

We've never used GitHub for CI with QEMU upsteam. Before this we used
Travis first, and Cirrus CI. Travis effectively killed off their free
plan for x86 builders, and Cirrus CI is too restrictive to run enough
jobs.  GitLab is our primary target

Regards,
Daniel