Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 07:10:54 +0000

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 11:16:22PM +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:46:19PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> > > So there are several solutions, a few of them require coding, all of
> > > them require long-term maintenance, and all of them require finding
> > > something against spam.
> >
> > We were running a MediaWiki for CouchDB before we moved to the ASF and we
> > were
> > having spam problems. We forced users to register and login before making
> > edits
> > and the spam problem vanished overnight.
>
> I have a couple public (i.e. !intranet) MoinMoins and Mediawikis
> around - both are spammed by registered spammers :/

That's pretty strange! Even our new Apache MoinMoin installation doesn't get
spam and that is significantly more visible in Google. Not sure what could be
the cause of this.

Both MoinMoin and MediaWiki come with spam filters, IIRC.

  http://moinmo.in/AntiSpamFeatures

  http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Anti-spam_features

Best,