Re: [Savannah-hackers] What's up?

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] What's up?
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 13:49:46 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden>

    > > 1) I've been unable to get the latest release of arch uploaded to the
    > >    web site.  The request went in 20-Aug and the autoresponder said
    > >    "most responses occur in 24-48 hours, not counting weekends and
    > >    holidays".  (Followup messages have not been answered.)

    > I do not see the connection with Savannah for this problem.  sysadmin
    > should take care of this.  I do not know how releases were handled
    > before the cracking of ftp/fencepost.

    > Could it be that now the files have to mailed somewhere?  It seems so
    > because an autoresponder.

I must be confused -- can you please help me become non-confused?

My understanding was that, until the new unattended uploads
infrastructure is in place, the way to get a file into
ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu-arch was to write to address@hidden with a
location from which the file could be snarfed and a gpg-signed md5sum.

I'm sorry but the distinctino between sysadmin and savannah is a bit
lost on me.

I sent such email on 20-Aug, plus two follow-ups -- but haven't heard
squeek other than the initial automated reply (other than, now, this
thread).

    > > 2) After the security problems on ftp.gnu.org, there was talk of
    > >    setting up an alternative means of doing unattended uploads.
    > >    That was originally advertised as being planned for the first week
    > >    of August.

    > This --- I think --- is for address@hidden or at least for the
    > people maintaining ftp.gnu.org

I understand that, in some sense that I don't fully appreciate, this
is not a savannah issue but a sysadmin issue.   Please understand that
from my perspective I have a savannah project, it's CVS area connects
to the gnu.org web pages, and I'm supposed to be using ftp.gnu.org as
the primary distribution site.

ftp.gnu.org is already well behind the latest release and now I have
another coming up.    I'd rather not have to wind up posting a release
announcement that says "well, you can't get this at gnu.org but here
it is on [some other site]."

I'm sorry if I'm being dense about how I'm supposed to accomplish
uploads -- it doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

    > > 4) I can not edit my www.gnu.org/projects/gnu-arch pages very easily
    > >    because this item:
    > >
    > >         http://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=2340
    > >
    > >    is still unresolved.

    > I responded to it Fri 08/29/2003 at 18:23.  Syncs are done once a
    > day.  In the near future they should be run once an hour.

Is there some reason that the synchronized updates can't be
reinstated?

An example:   someone gave me a Japanese translation of
www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch.   Great!  So, I checked it in and
(since it had just arrived and the guy was presumably still likely to
be on-line) I wanted to send mail saying "Ok, does that look right?
Did I mangle it cutting it out of the email?".   But (at that time) it
was days before it showed up.   And then, sure enough, there was a
typo -- and it was days more before I could say "Ok, that's fixed.".

    > The problem was that when you updated your website (via CVS) that it
    > didn't show on the webserver.  In the past (when gnudist wasn't down,
    > I do not know why it is down now) a sync was done on commit.

And that was really nice.

Sorry -- I really don't mean to be a bitch about this stuff.   In my
opinion, GNU is really underfunded -- ideally there should be beefier
hardware and more dedicated sysadmins, etc.   So much is done by
volunteers and, geeze, it's really hard to complain in light of that.

So, thank you and other volunteers.   Things are basically still
really cool.   The recent email virus foo is a large part of the
problem, I'm sure.   I'm just trying to (hopefully helpfully) point
out the most serious glitches in my experience as a user of the
infrastructure.

-t