[Savannah-hackers] Re: new project: nixal gnu/linux user group

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: new project: nixal gnu/linux user group
Date: 09 Sep 2003 16:56:13 +0200

John Paul Wallington <address@hidden> said:

> > > The Nixal GNU/Linux Users Group (Netaji Subhash Engineering College,
> > > Kolkata) would like a website akin to the Toronto-area GNU/Hurd User
> > > Group, hosted on Savannah.  RMS has granted their request.
> > >
> > > I've volunteered to handhold or liaise as necessary.  Their admin has
> > > created a Savannah account with username "ansuman", and will go ahead
> > > filling in the Register New Project form.
> >
> > This is wrong, this is not how Savannah is supposed to work. It's not
> > to admins to register project for users.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  ansuman runs their present website but
> is a user, a member of their user group, too.  Who should register
> their project ?

Hi John, first please accept my apologizes, my reply was a
unappropriately harsh.

I did apparently read your message to fast and I understood "I've
volunteered to handhold or liaise as necessary [...] and will go ahead
filling in the Register New Project form", which would have been a
problem. Sorry for the confusion, you were right and I was wrong.

But apart from that, I do not think that someone should "handhold" or
"liaise" a dedicated kind of project. Basically, the interlocutor for
Savannah users should be the savannah-hackers list, not an individual
on the list (unless there something very unusual that need to be
settled by an individual from the list), users should be using the
savannah support request tool instead of taking the habbit to rely on
a specific person.
Any savannah-related tasks (support, development) are better handled
with the tools that every savannah hackers use.

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: