[Savannah-hackers] Re: new project: nixal gnu/linux user group

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: new project: nixal gnu/linux user group
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:48:56 +0100

> > This is still a misunderstanding, I think.  JPW did not ask one
> > of the Savannah team to hold their hands or liaise with them.
> > He said he wanted to hold their hands and liaise with them.
> > Why do you object if he does this?
>

> I'm not sure to understood what covers exactly "holding hands and
> liaising"?

Nothing really, certainly not managing their project, just helping iff
necessary; for instance, it took a few mails back and forth before
ansuman submitted his request to savannah.

> If it requires no action at all from savannah hackers, why sending a
> mail to address@hidden Just for the information? In that
> case, disregard my mails about that.

Yes, just for information.

> If it requires to provide JPW a way to manage their project,

That definitely isn't required !

>                                                              it will
> take us more time than doing it by ourselves (one project is nothing
> in matter of time, we review 40 projects per weeks. I do that since
> february 2002 so basically I must have reviewed something like 2000
> projects in my life).
> But sure, it's not a big deal, it's not even a problem.
>
> I'd be more interested in the savannah policy about GUG (because if
> it's about to generalize, which is a good idea, it should be better to
> think about potential issues at start. For instance, a specific naming
> convention should be picked for these groups:
>
>         - at savannah, each project get a "system name", for instance
>         "emacs" for the GNU Emacs project.
>         These names are unique.
>
>         If we are about to host GUGs, we should make sure that they
>         will not take "system name" that can be used by projects (a
>         software with a system name well known will not change his
>         system name just to be hosted at savannah. And projects, I
>         think, should get the priority on system names)
>
>         So we should probably add a prefix to GUG system name, like
>         gug_$namepicked.
>         It's pretty harmless and helpful.

Good idea.  Besides the system-name naming convention, there is the
question of whether GNU User Groups belong to nongnu or gnu (or
perhaps a third category), and whether to have a distinct url for
GUG websites (eg: http://www.gnu.org/gug/name, maybe
http://user-groups.gnu.org/name), which you have mooted in the other
thread <address@hidden>.