[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of The linuxap-EnHanced project - sava

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of The linuxap-EnHanced project - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 12 Sep 2003 10:14:24 +0200

We do not host distribution but software project that may be part of a
distribution.

In this spirit, it would be strange to host a collection of patches
against a distribution.

There's only to maybe acceptable way to host you:
        - You create a project for each patch you made against
        each software (did you asked these software authors to include
        your patches
        - You create a project for each category of patch you made,
        not specifically against this distribution.

But more generally we host software project and patches does not
exactly fit in this category. In the long run, patches have to be
included upstream or to be lost (non-maintainable in the long run). If
upstream refuses to include them, the latest solution would be to fork
the software.

So I think you should find a way to work with the upstream
developers. If they are not willing to apply your patches without
sensible explanation, you should try to get them building a modular
system which would enables you to contribute by writing real software
module, not just patch horribly dependent on a specific version of the
software you want to fix.

For instance, I cannot imagine mod_ssl for Apache being just a
collection of patches.

Regards,