Re: [Savannah-help-public] problems with large emails

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] problems with large emails
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:23:10 +0100 (CET)

Hi Karl!

Thanks for answering.  I've now CCed the GNU sysadmin guys...

>     I've recently sent a large mail (about 400kByte) to [the
>     freetype-devel mailing list]
>
> The FSF sysadmins have the MTA impose a rather low limit on all
> mail, that I believe your 400k msg has run afoul of.  Unfortunately
> I don't remember what the limit is, maybe 100k?  200k?  (The one
> exception to the limit, hopefully fully implemented just recently,
> is for mail originating from savannah, for the sake of autocommit
> mail.)

Uh, oh.  I very much dislike this new behaviour.  FreeType is a
graphical application, and sometimes it is unavoidable to send larger
images to the list $(Q#|(B a link to an image can quickly become stale, then
the information is lost more or less.  What does the FSF suggest to
solve such problems?

However, the most important action IMHO is to tell the user the reason
for rejecting a mail!  I ask the FSF sysadmins to adjust the mailing
program accordingly.

   Werner