Code reindent (was: new upstream release?)

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: Code reindent (was: new upstream release?)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 05:40:46 -0500

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 11:11:55AM +0100, Halim Sahin wrote:
> hi,
> As wrote before using tab stops is a bad idea because
> different edittors would handle indentation not in the same way.

what do you mean "handle"?  Sure different editors with different
configs display them differently but that is a _virtue_ of tabs your
editor can make them take up the amount of space _you_ want not what
ever someone else has decided they like.  So tabs should be used for
indentation and spaces for alignment and what you want with is code is
indenting not alignment.

> I prefer spaces not tab for indentation.

-1

I have a couple things to add to what William said.

- if you have to manually add indentation typeing 4 spaces is more work
  than hitting tab once similar for checking indentation.  When
  refactoring code this can be a bit of a pain imho.
- as I mentioned above indentation with tabs is sumantic as oposed to
  spaces which provide layout but have no sumantic meaning.  In code you
  want to convey that something is at a lower level which is sumantic so
  you want to indent not change alignment.

  Trev