Re: Fw: Re: [Savane-dev] About Savane with python

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [Savane-dev] About Savane with python
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:26:21 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 10:50:32PM +0200, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:
>     I tried my best to shield the applicant from this debate, I begin to
>     be very disappointed..
>
> I am a bit lost here.  As the org admin for the GNU Project I think that
> in all cases the maintainers of the corresponding GNU programs must be
> aware of the ideas/projects related to their respective programs, and
> agree about their convenience.

That's the main issue: Jordi pushed this idea and offered mentorship,
but he's not related to Savannah or Savane and didn't contact either
project.  Moreover, his attitude is now affecting the image of these
projects and GNU.

Also, Savane is not a GNU project and didn't express the wish to be
associated with Google.

As a consequence:

- the "Savane" confusing section of the GSOC ideas must be removed
  _right now_

- in a second step, I think Michael or somebody from the Savannah team
  (but nobody else) may submit an idea and propose a mentor

> This is because one of the main goals of
> GNU participating in the SoC is to boost the development of the GNU
> software.  Otherwise the outcome of the projects/ideas would most likely
> not be incorporated to the main development line of the program.
>
> So what is the current situation of this savannah/savane rewriting idea?
>
> Michael, must we drop the idea/project?  AFAIK Sylvain started a rewrite
> of the savane codebase some time ago... could this effort benefit from
> the SoC idea?

  One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of
  code. — Ken Thompson

I don't have a definitive opinion, though don't throw a student on a
project if there's nobody to maintain it afterwhile.

(Btw, I'm no more a Savannah hacker, but I'm still a GNU maintainer,
and we're still maintaining the hosting of 1400 projects with Savane
at gna.org.  That's why I'm involved in this discussion.)

--
Sylvain