Re: Setting up Linux etc, ...

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Setting up Linux etc, ...
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 22:42:12 -0500 ()

Dear Mr. Huang:
I agree with the previous comments, but since I had such a long
period of personal anguish, I would add these little bits of info:

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Mr X.Y.Huang wrote:

> (2) I KNOW I can ftp swarm from internet
I did that, and installed off the VFAT partition of a hard drive that
supports win95. The RPM directory from redhat will take you about 150
megabytes. And I don't feel comfortable deleting them because I've had to
access several rpms to find out where files were installed or whether
something is corrupted.

 If I had it to do over again, I'd just buy the boxed set for $50 from
Redhat, which includes all the rpms that exist, plus copies of the
contributed rpm files that help you install lots of software. They also
have all the HOWTO files from sunsite.  People say a firm called Infomagic
will sell them for even less, but I don't know what is omitted.

> (3) But I do not know whether X window is included in the RedHat or
> not; if not I do not know what should I do. Should I buy it? How much
> would it be?
The X windows server is XFREE86, and whether it works on your video card
is a BIG question.  Check the hardware list. My video card is the new
Matrox Mystique and it is not supported, and I had to get Accelerated-X
for $100.

>  (4) I do not know whether the Objective-C environment is
> included in the RedHat or not. If not, where I should get it and its
> price.
YES, it is one of the rpms that you can optionally install. The interface
between tcl and objc, as you recall from the swarm page, is (at last
notice) specially tacked together at sfi and you get it there.

Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science                Office: (913) 864-9086
University of Kansas                      FAX: (913) 864-5700
Lawrence, Kansas 66045                    Home: (913) 842-9916