Re: Success in an SGI Origin 200 running IRIX6.4 and bug in libtclobjc

From: Gerardo Malazdrewicz
Subject: Re: Success in an SGI Origin 200 running IRIX6.4 and bug in libtclobjc
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:15:32 +0300 (GMT)

> Gerardo Malazdrewicz writes:
>  >    Yes! I have a working Swarm in such machine, compiled with gcc
>  > 2.7.2.2 patched for using old_ld, tcl7.5 and tk4.1 installed in
>  > /usr/lib and libtclobjc-1.1b6.
>
> Gerardo,
>
> Is there a reason you're using the old_ld?  When I tried
> to get Swarm running for jwac recently, I tried using the
> old ld, but, it didn't seem to help.   I was trying to
> install it on an Irix 6.2 machine using gcc 2.7.2.2, but,
> I didn't make any specific patches for the old ld.
>
> My symptoms were that Objective C did not work at all, even
> though C and C++ seemed to work fine.
>
> Any thoughts?
> glen
> --
> {glen e. p. ropella <address@hidden> |  Send lawyers, guns, and money!  }
> {Hive Drone, SFI Swarm Project         |            Hail Eris!            }
> {http://www.trail.com/~gepr/home.html  |               =><=               }

Glen:
        I used old_ld for compiling gcc, because was claimed ld should have
problems to manage symbol information generated from gcc -g (or something like
that, this is from memory).
        I saw recently similar advice for compile gcc, using ld and modifying
speces file.
        I could put a binary package available by ftp, if that helps.
        Thanks for your work in Swarm!
        Greetings,
                Gerardo