Re: site search engine

From: Trey Fondon
Subject: Re: site search engine
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:02:25 -0500 (CDT)

>and for an undergrad who's been given a hellish task--catalog all known
>non-ribosomal amphibian gene sequences, with the number of known base
>pairs, by species.  (No, GenBank does not provide that query. :)  There
>are about 6,000 files for him to catalog, once he get's em, one by one...
>I'm hoping he could at least have the satisfaction, once the nasty deed
>is done, of providing a database that's extensible and worthy of use
>(by whatever community of amphibian gene jockeys is out there...) rather
>than a paper report.
>
>Any advice appreciated,
>            Ginger Booth, Center for Computational Ecology
>                Yale Institute for Biospheric Studies

Hi Ginger,
        Skip Garner (my boss) here at Southwestern has a student developing
a tool for automated screening and downloading sequences from Genbank by
BLAST hits and/or annotation keywords.  I don't think it is quite ready for
export, but very close.  Sounds like it's just what you (or your undergrad)
might need.

Skip's email is address@hidden I'm sure he'd be happy to send you
whatever he's got (if it's ready to send).

regards,

Trey

John W. Fondon III  (Trey)
McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development
Genome Science & Technology Center
Garner Nanovolumes Laboratory
t.u. Southwestern Medical Center
address@hidden