Re: Swarm 1.1 Available

From: Robert E. Bell
Subject: Re: Swarm 1.1 Available
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 17:03:17 -0800

For what it's worth, I just built swarm and heatbugs on NT4.0 with no hitches
whatsoever...no separate compiles and no file replacements...just downloaded
cdk, then swarm, then make. Don't know if I ever built swarm so painlessly ;-)
The hardest part was waiting for CDK to dowload...good grief.

Perhaps there is a difference between building under NT and Win95?

Now back to cdk....how the heck do I make this bash window bigger?!  Anyone
played much with cdk yet?

Robert

Wengui Su wrote:

> I just install Swarm-1.1 on my PC under win95. The way I did it is:
>
> 1. down load CDK.exe from Cygnus, and install it first.
> It is a straight forward process. CDK.exe seems including everything needed to
> work with swarm(Tcl8.0 etc).
> 2. Then download Swarm-1.1 for Win95/NT binary distribution. It is also a
> straight forward installation process. It has tclobjc, blt and other libraries
> used by swarm.
> 3. replace c:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwinb19.dll with the one comes
> with Swarm under the Swarm directory. Then you can do the compilation for
> Swarm
> library following the instruction in readme file under Swarm. It takes me
> several hours to work it out. The main problem for this installation on my
> machine is
>
> I couldn't finish the compilation because it freezed my computer in the
> middle.
>
> Solution: I went to individual compiling processes for each of the
> libraries(run
> make in defobj, collections etc), and then run the main make under Swarm in
> order to copy the library file into the right place. I haven't figure out what
> is the reason for screen freezing. But I got the same thing when I mistyped a
> command in bash under Cygnus, and so I suspect the problem is due to the
> Cygnus
> and win95. I hope somebody can explain it to me.
>
> Anyway, I succesfully compiled the Swarm libraries, and the heatbugs and
> hello-world-v3, and it works fine.
>
> hope this would help
>
> Wengui Su
>
> Department of Geography
> The Australian National University
> Canberra, ACT 0200
> Australia

One word frees us of all the weight and pain
of life: that word is love.  --- Sophocles

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's
need, but not every man's greed.  --- M. Gandhi

Robert E. Bell
Department of Geography
University Of California, Los Angeles
Email: address@hidden