Re: javaswarm - No such file or directory

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: javaswarm - No such file or directory
Date: 27 Mar 2001 14:26:27 -0800

DH> The problem occurs when I type 'javaswarm' at the bash shell... I
DH> get the message 'No such file or directory.'  I assume it has
DH> something to do with my path settings, which are as follows:

With the settings you describe, you wouldn't need to use the javaswarm
script at all since it just sets up the CLASSPATH and PATH.  However, I
suggest you _not_ make any of these CLASSPATH and PATH settings and
simply rely on the script to do it.

But since you have them, you might see if `java' alone works
(it should).  All you _need_ for the ordinary `java' program to work
is CLASSPATH having E:\Swarm-2.1.1\share\swarm\swarm.jar and PATH
having E:\Swarm-2.1.1\bin.

DH> HOME  E:\.;

I suggest that you change your account in W2k so that you home
directory is some subdirectory.  By default the bash shell will go
here, and you'll tend to accumulate files there.

DH> CLASSPATH

DH>     E:\533\Swarm-2.1.1\swarm.jar [etc]

You don't need a CLASSPATH setting at all for the javaswarm script to work.

DH> PATH

The only situation that you need to add Swarm-2.1.1\bin to the PATH
is if you are using a Java IDE.  Emacs should be set up right and
the terminal will be set up right.

DH> In addition, Kawa.jar and Swarm.jar are placed in the
DH> E:\533\Swarm-2.1.1 directory.

You don't need to do that... just leave things where they are installed.
You don't need kawa.jar, either.

What I would do is clear out all the PATH and CLASSPATH changes you've
made, uninstall Swarm from the Control Panel/add remove programs, move
your home directory using the account manager, and then reinstall
Swarm 2.1.1 using the InstallShield package.  Then try to run
Start/Programs/Swarm/terminal and see if it works.