please don't send HTML formatted e-mail to the list (was Re: Scheduling)

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: please don't send HTML formatted e-mail to the list (was Re: Scheduling)
Date: 27 Mar 2001 16:11:00 -0700

RL>     I am currently implementing a version of StarLogo's Wolf-Sheep

[...]

I hate to be broken record on this, but it would be bandwidth
preserving and more e-mail reader friendly if folks could *please*
refrain from posting mail in HTML format to the mailing list.  A
simple 30 line text message can swell as much as 3 or 4 times if
encoded in HTML, it also takes longer to load in some mail readers and
is harder to index/search in the mailing list archives.

It's frustrating because certain MS$ e-mail clients don't properly
MIME-encode the e-mail, and/or send funny non-ASCII characters (for
example, for an apostrophe, in my e-mail reader I see question marks,
as per the quoted line above).

Considering that most messages here don't use/need any of the extra
fancy formatting that HTML provides it's particulary annoying.  I
don't mean to be picking on Rob specifically, since there are others.

Thanks for your patience.

Alex
--
   Alex Lancaster * <address@hidden> * www.santafe.edu/~alex
Dept. of Integrative Biology, UC Berkeley (ib.berkeley.edu) * +1 510 642-1233