Re: [Swarm-Support] still looking for ant (termite) pile demo in swarm

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] still looking for ant (termite) pile demo in swarm
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:34:02 -0600

As I was watching these emails, I was wondering, why doesn't he just go to ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/apps, where all this stuff lives. Then I tried it myself and found the ftp unresponsive, so until that gets worked out, I've logged into my guest account down there and zapped all those apps files onto a web server I can use. There's some justice in this, as I was the one whining about reorganizing the ftp last year.

So, here's the copy of that directory, which has all the stuff Rick might be remembering, plus more.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/apps

I have been doing Swarm since 1997, and back then swarmapps did not include a termite application. That goes back to Swarm 1.04 or so, and that tells me Rick is remembering something really old.

All of the old swarmapps packages are in the sdg/oldVersions directory

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/apps/objc/sdg/oldVersions/

There were user contributed programs for that termite thing, I don't know exactly which is running the way you want.. I never understood what was interesting about it. Consider:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/apps/objc/contrib/turmites-2.1.tar.gz
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/apps/objc/contrib/antsort-2.1.tar.gz

There's an oldVersions directory, where I would have put the old ones if they existed.

Until we find out if ftp://ftp.santafe.edu will fire up in a dependable way, I'll leave those apps there. Of course, anybody who knows of a way to make a permanent better solution, including ftp service, can take over.

pj

Rick Riolo wrote:
i'm still hoping someone can find this demo.

as far as i can tell, the oldest swarm we (CSCS) have online
is 1.3.1, and that doesnt' have the demo i'm hoping to find;
it just has:
   heatbugs  hello-world  market  mousetrap  template  tutorial