Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM;SantaFE Stock Market

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM;SantaFE Stock Market
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:58:58 -0500

Andreas Sauerwein wrote:
Hi

Im student at the University of Innsbruck/Austria and I m currently writing my
diploma thesis on agant based simulations of financial markets. Unfortunately I
ve problems to run the SantaFe Stock Market Application (SFSM 1.0 and ASM 2.4).
Currently I try to run it under CYGWIN

The Error line is:
In file included from AgentManager.m:367:
random.h:16 error: conflicting types for 'random'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:183
:error: previous declaration of 'random' make:*** [AgentManager.o] Error 1

Greetings

My friend Thomas Badegruber did a PhD on the ASM at the University of Graz. He works for Mckenzie Consulting now, I think. I have not tried that program in a while, but I have some hazy recollection of this problem. Why don't you try some of the obvious fixes, and if that does not work, email me back.

I do not use WIndows, I can't say what is wrong there. If I were you, I'd try finding out if the use of the term "random" is necesary in AgentManager.m on line 367. Maybe you could rename that variable to avoid the conflict. That's the most obvious strategy.

The README file says:
....In ASM-new-snap1, I've removed the random.h and random.m from this program, and replaced their functionality with Swarm library behave like a Swarm app. Every time you run it, you get the same random seed, unless you use the command line switch or input randomSeed of your own.
What does it mean?????
Like all swarm models (heatbugs, for example), the random number stream is the same every time. That is "replicability". It is the same every time because it uses the same starting value--seed value--every time. You run the model with -s in order to make the random stream vary randomly.
What do I have to do to run the SFSM
Is it better to try the applications with Fedora?

Yes, that is what I do. I hate windows.

The 32 bit rpms for Fedora are fine, as far as I can tell. You need my rpm for blt and swarm. I don't have 64 bit rpms yet, but may have them soon.
Thank you for your help!!!!!

Regards

Andreas Sauerwein