Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM;SantaFE Stock Market

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM;SantaFE Stock Market
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:27:33 -0600

Paul Johnson wrote:
What do I have to do to run the SFSM
Is it better to try the applications with Fedora?

Yes, that is what I do. I hate windows.

One option is to set up Fedora inside Windows using something like VMware server. VMware server is available at no cost. Or the reverse, you can set up Windows inside VMware on Linux. Vista Ultimate, for example, has some leeway on the license to let you run several virtualized installs in addition to a direct install. For the former case, (Linux in Windows) if you allocate a modest amount of RAM to your virtual machine, it's feasible to run with 1GB of RAM. 2GB is better though.

I think it is unlikely the SDG will do any work on updating Windows prior to updates for Vista. Vista offers 64 bit support, but there is not yet any compiler support. I've seen that work is underway, though. I'm not sure how soon Cygwin will pick that up, so it might be only for Mingw. Currently the Java stuff for Swarm uses Mingw instead of Cygwin, so one idea would be to go the rest of the way for Objective C users as well.