Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM;SantaFE Stock Market

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] SWARM;SantaFE Stock Market
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:59:47 -0600

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
Steve Railsback wrote:
(The code compiled in Fedora, but it immediately crashed with an obscure buffer overflow.)
Toward the end of the method -createTimePlots in Output.m on line 318 the character array `name[10]' is defined. Make it `name[20]' and this crash should go away. It does for me. It's a stack overflow problem that corrupts the variable asmModelParams on line 150 of ASMObserverSwarm.m.
I just tried it on Cygwin. The `random' declaration is easy to fix. Simply delete the line "extern long random (void)" in Dividend.m. That function is not even used. (Also make the change above -- which is a bug in ASM.)

There's a stranger problem that Cygwin users that have updated to the latest Cygwin packages may run in to. In /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/include/objc/objc-api.h starting on about line 102 is are declarations that start with "extern void objc_verror" and end with "objc_error_handler". Comment these three lines out if compiles of ASM fail. These declarations aren't needed within Swarm and the variable argument declaration isn't working for reasons specific to Cygwin.