Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>

From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:14:34 +0200 (CEST)

Mensaje citado por: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>:

> Hi there,
>
> currently, hitting the <Del> key with some text marked is equivalent
> with doing a <Cut> (Win: Ctrl-X). I.e.: the text in the buffer is
> replaced.
>
> This is not the standard behavior of desktop applications and it is
> rather annoying in every day use: If you copy some text to the buffer
> and want to replace several portions of text with that buffer-content
> -
> as soon as you delete some portion of text to replace it, the buffer
> content is lost.

This is extremely annoying for everybody I know who uses TeXmacs. I have been
wondering for long what the motivation might be, to present a solid case in
order for this to change.

> Also: standard behavior would be that <Ctrl-V> with some text marked
> replaces that text with the buffer content. This does not work in
> TeXmacs either.

I raised this issue a couple of years ago. The reason for this is that
replacement is thought to be a destructive default. I still think that it is
more efficient to have the behaviour you suggest, which has also the benefit of
being standard. If not the default, it would be definitely a very convenient and
user-friendly customization option in the preferences menu.

Álvaro.