Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:14:09 +0200

Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:

>>Also: standard behavior would be that <Ctrl-V> with some text marked
>>replaces that text with the buffer content. This does not work in
>>TeXmacs either.
>>

>I raised this issue a couple of years ago. The reason for this is that
>replacement is thought to be a destructive default.

If that is the reason, then I think the policy has to be thought over:
Of course it is destructive, but it also is the standard for any editor
that cares about standards.

The "danger" that is behind this "destructive" default, really is rather
small: if it really is not what you wanted, you can always to a UNDO.

> I still think that it is
>more efficient to have the behaviour you suggest, which has also the benefit of
>being standard.

I would order this in the other way around: first reason - it is
standard. Additional benefit - the standard has proven to be reasonable.
TeXmacs should try to follow standards no matter what people believe is
most efficient. In general, the way that you are used to always is the
most efficient thing to do.

> If not the default, it would be definitely a very convenient and
>user-friendly customization option in the preferences menu.

Again, I opt for the other way around: the standard should be the
default wherever possible. Customization should probably be possible,
but even for customization one should be careful not to offer too many
pointless choices. People who want to tweak every detail to their liking
should edit configuration files. Preference menus should offer only the
really important choices (in a well-ordered way)