Re: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:58:20 -0400

> I don't know if an out-of-the-box configuration for the default Emacs is
> needed - the idea of a distribution like what we demonstrate with Aquamacs
> might already do the job.  People with other needs - a cross-platform
> compatible Emacs - will then be happy to use the 'conservative'
> version instead.

It does the job, but it's more work for you.  And having two slightly
different distributions is a pain in the rear.  Better to have one
distribution plus an add-on.  You can bundle them of course, but the point
is that I want to be able to install your Aquamacs (for other people) and
still use it as a "normal Emacs" myself.

> I see a trend towards the first - UI integration - because it's more

We're in favor of UI integration as well, mind you.  We just don't have the
manpower/experience/time/will to do more of it ourselves.  Note that UI
integration is different from issues such a default keybindings, etc...

> Either way, merely using a 'theme' with the on-board means, for example to
> make customization buffers look different, will IMHO not tweak the
> application UI enough.

You're confused about what is meant by "theme" in the context of Custom.
It's new in Emacs-CVS and is still very poorly supported/documented, but the
basic idea is that you can take your .emacs and say "here is my
DavidReitterTheme".

> Consequently, I'm arguing for native widgets wherever possible.

You're preaching to the choir.  We're using native menus, native scrollbars,
native tooltips, ...

> In this case, I would be grateful if someone would implement
> more Carbon (or Cocoa) based UI stuff, and if better internal interfaces
> existed,

So would we.

> for example to handle scrollbars correctly.

Please report any complaint you have against the scrollbar with
M-x report-emacs-bug.

        Stefan