Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X (was: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X (was: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:32:14 +0100

On 6 Apr 2005, at 15:08, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Under OS X, Emacs behaves very strangely with regard to the scrollbars and sliders. When you just click on a slider without moving it (after you've
scrolled to the middle of the document), you will see that the text
scrolls right away, often far beyond the document.  Intended behavior
would be not to do anything.

The description of the behavior is not sufficiently precise for me to be sure, but it looks like a genuine bug. I'm not sure what you mean by "far
beyond the document", tho.

It overscrolls: it scrolls down beyond the end of the buffer, so that the screen is all empty. It shouldn't jerk when you click and drag - very often, I grab the slider to scroll down a little. When the window jumps to a totally different document position, the slider becomes practically useless in that usage context.

I acknowledge your explanations on the other points - thanks. In the UI that I'd like to implement in order to conform to standards in my environment, the vertical slider size shows a proportion of _ displayed lines_ not document characters or real lines (those that end with a CR or LF). Whether that is better or not, I don't know, but what I do know is that a) "less visual change on the screen is more", and that b) both Windows and Mac software has sliders with a stable size.

But the slider size should have less priority.

Is there a way to store count-screen-lines statically and just update it when necessary?

-- Dave