Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:22:08 +0200

>     The console clearly is exclusively a feature of the kernel.
>
> The console is implemented by the kernel, but you use it to log in
> to the whole system.

There are embedded Linux systems that are most definitely not GNU, and
for example the system at <URL:http://www.skarnet.org/poweredby.html>
runs Linux, but not the GNU system.

> Thus, both "Linux console" and "GNU/Linux console" are justifiable.
>
> If we call it the "Linux console", everyone who isn't a wizard will
> misunderstand and think it refers to the "Linux operating system".
> The only way to avoid promoting this misunderstanding is to call it
> the "GNU/Linux console".

We can't demand correctness from others with regard to GNU/Linux that
we are not willing to provide ourselves.

> Neither name is perfectly right, so my decision is to use the one
> that doesn't hurt the GNU project.

In my opinion that should be the one that does not expose us as
hypocrites: that hurts more than anything else could... I already
proposed a wording that would make clear that we are talking about the
kernel here.