Re: New sync'd branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:04:20 +0300

> From: address@hidden
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:47:23 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:04:41 -0400
> >> Cc: address@hidden, Dmitry Dzhus <address@hidden>
> >>
> >> - the downside of course is that people who want to work on or play with
> >>   the Emacs-24 branch will need to learn to use Git.
> >>
> >> How does that sound?
> >
> > Not good at all.  I don't want to waste my scarce time to learn Git,
> > in addition to Bzr.
>
> It would be interesting to know the needs you see that makes you make
> this statement.

Actually, I don't have a good idea what I will need, because for that
I would need to study git at least to some degree, won't I?  What's
below is just the beginning.

> - make local copy of remote repos
> - hack
> - fetch changes from upstream
> - provide patch for emacs-devel to ridicule
>
> which is about 3 scm commands. It seems to be a small investment even
> for the interim.
>
> I'm sure, though, that you need to do more complex things I'm missing.
>
> Now that I use git I do more stuff like local branching, having several
> remote branches to sync with, etc, but one doesn't have to do those kinds
> of things.

First, you are probably working on GNU/Linux most of the time.  By
contrast, most of my Emacs development is on MS-Windows, where
installing git is an adventure at best.  Last time I looked (I'd love
to learn things changed since then), most of git were Unixy shell
scripts, which means I will need to install Cygwin or MSYS.  Each one
of these needs its own share of learning, tweaking, and getting used
to.  If I had this kind of time, I'd probably install GNU/Linux ion
the first place.

Then I already have several local sandboxes: the trunk, the 23_1_RC
branch, a sandbox where I build and test the DOS port, and now the
bidi branch.  It's confusing as it is already; learning how to do that
with 2 new tools (Bzr and git) will take more time -- time I don't
have.  I prefer not to do that if there's a good alternative.