Re: New sync'd branch

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:46:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> As long as it needs MSYS, the problem is still there for me.
>
> Let's face it: Git was invented for GNU/Linux by Linux enthusiasts; it
> kicks ass on GNU/Linux, but using it on non-Posix platforms is not
> (and was not supposed to be) a feast.

As someone who tried git on Windows some weeks ago, I can confirm Eli's
fears.

And would say more: git is the brainchild of Linus, and works according
to Linus views of the world. For instance, CRLF line endings cause a lot
of trouble.

git's extraordinay responsiveness disappears on Windows too.

Then there are those who think that msysgit is a "native" port to
windows, instead cygwin's "emulation". Well, they ignore what msys is: a
fork of cygwin.

BTW, cygwin's git worked much better than msysgit for me.

Finally, git's UI is horrid: complex, barroque, with plenty of
opportunities for shooting yourself on the feet. Those kernel guys are
not the right people for designing UIs. Some day people will recognize
this and will see today's massive leaning towards git as a mistake
originated on juvenile reverence towards its original author and on
simplistic metrics like raw speed, putting aside a critical and objetive
assessment of its merits compared against the alternatives.

--
Óscar