Re: New sync'd branch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:03:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Teemu Likonen <address@hidden>
>>
>> The installation is just a click-click thing:
>>
>>     http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> Did you actually try to install and set up MSYS on Windows,

You presumably mean msysgit?  AFAIK, it is not a separate install.

> and then use that in parallel to the native MinGW development
> environment?
>
> I did, so please don't tell me it's ``just a click-click thing''.
> Installation is just the beginning of your trouble.  You install
> things in order to be able to use them; it's _using_ MSYS together
> with native environment on the same machine that takes most of the
> energy.

> Let's face it: Git was invented for GNU/Linux by Linux enthusiasts; it
> kicks ass on GNU/Linux, but using it on non-Posix platforms is not
> (and was not supposed to be) a feast.

Johannes Schindelin is mostly responsible for msysgit, I believe.  And
he is what you call a "Linux enthusiast".  He has invested a lot of
tears and blood into msysgit, so the chances are that this reduces the
amount you need to invest yourself.  I think that the Windows port of
Emacs has had a few workers on it with a similar situation, and your
MSDOS port of it appears to be somewhat similarly motivated.

If you have things with msysgit, there will be people eager to hear from
you and trying to address your concerns.  Don't expect them to refrain
from namecalling concerning Windows, but that's not a high price to pay
when you think about it.

--
David Kastrup