Re: New sync'd branch

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:11:41 +0200

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 15:46, Óscar Fuentes<address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> As someone who tried git on Windows some weeks ago, I can confirm Eli's
>> fears.
>
> Did you install the msysgit development environment, or the git exe?

I used the msysgit installer. This was 2 months ago IIRC.

[snip]

>> git's extraordinay responsiveness disappears on Windows too.
>
> ??
>
> git on Windows is surely not as fast as it is on GNU/Linux, but are
> you saying that it is slower than bzr (or cvs) for you?

I say that git's speed is no longer a reason for choosing it on
Windows. Some operations (like initializing a git-svn repo) is orders of
magnitude slower on Windows than on GNU/Linux. Importing a 1000 revs svn
repo took *hours* on Windows, less than a minute on GNU/Linux. bzr
imports it on Windows almost as fast as git on GNU/Linux.

>> Then there are those who think that msysgit is a "native" port to
>> windows, instead cygwin's "emulation". Well, they ignore what msys is: a
>> fork of cygwin.
>
> And that's a problem because...? You don't have to install Cygwin
> (which I hate). What does matter how msysgit works internally?

Why do you hate cygwin and not msys, which is cygwin by other name (and
with not so good maintenance and quality, IMO).

>> Finally, git's UI is horrid: complex, barroque, with plenty of
>> opportunities for shooting yourself on the feet. Those kernel guys are
>> not the right people for designing UIs.
>
> I agree with that, and certainly it's a bit absurd the sheer number of
> options most commands have. But you can do serious work with git using
> a tiny fraction of that complexity (I do, and I've just used the
> simplest of git tutorials).

This is like C++ and other gratuitously complex systems: it is difficult
to learn what's important and what's irrelevant or even dangerous.

> That said, every DVCS is an acquired taste; I don't think bzr's
> command set is that elegant, either (though it is definitely simpler).

Learning bzr took me half an hour and I'm productively working with it
since two months ago. bzr does its job and it is out your way. git
requires quite a bit of mastership and knowing lots of things about its
inner workings. Typical mindset of a Linux kernel developer: know by
heart everything you use. A very improductive mindset, I'll say.

[snip]

--
Óscar Fuentes
Desarrollo de Software