Re: Inlining policy

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Inlining policy
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 19:17:03 +0000

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/6/20 11:15 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> I haven't checked whether it has the same performance impact, and
>> neither do I know how it compares w.r.t. "portability/reliability", but
>> judging just from the patch, I really like it.
>>
>> Paul?
>
> Although I like the idea, it significantly hurts performance with -O0
> (GCC 9.3.1, x86-64) because it causes GCC to emit excess instructions
> to save and restore inline function arguments to the stack.

True

https://godbolt.org/z/rfKxo7

Actually I think moving the lisp_h_* into the functions could also make
these easier to debug in case.  I find a little odd to optimize for
speed -O0, in the end is the exact reason why -Og exists.  But I
understand there's a trade-off here.

Thanks for reviewing

  Andrea

--