Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 07:46:59 +0200

On 05.10.2021 13:27, Po Lu wrote:

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:

Another reason: VSCode. The damn thing is spreading like a
disease. And now it's even possible to browse code on GitHub, in a
browser, by simply pressing <.> (the dot).  I would love to be able to
comfortably browse through elisp code without having to clone it
locally, but none of the existing VSCode Lisp plugins are any good.
For example, there's no equivalent of imenu for Lisp files. You can't
jump to a given function.
Isn't the code behind that particular feature proprietary?
In what sense? GitHub is inherently proprietary, so yes, but what
about this specific feature is different.
I think it is dangerous for Emacs to "integrate" with such proprietary
software.  It would make people gravitate towards that software.

Just to be clear, and so that we're all on the same page:

* Whatever software Github runs is proprietary.
* The LSP protocol-specification it is based on is fully open, and implemented by lots of (FLOSS) programming-languages.

What Ag Ibragimov is asking for here is not integrating with a proprietary product, but implementing the open protocol, to provider better support for Emacs Lisp as a language.

If that is perceived as a danger, then I honestly think one might consider re-adjusting once own perception :)

--
Vennlig hilsen
Jostein Kjønigsen

jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com 🍵 jostein@hufleslufs.no