guix-devel

Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Dropping gzip-compressed substitutes
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 12:26:26 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> This week, I'd like to try the following to see if we could get past
> this:
>
> 1. Do the experiment again, now a 'rootdelay=20' kernel parameter was
> added to Berlin's config.  This may well be enough.
>
> 2. In case mounting the RAID 10 Btrfs root partition still fails with
> missing drive errors, try the following workaround suggested in the
> #btrfs channel, which forces a 'btrfs device scan' on each device of the
> array, with the following mount option:
>
> "device=/dev/sda3,/dev/sdb3,/dev/sdc3,/dev/sdd3,/dev/sde3,/dev/sdf3"
>
> To make it more convenient to experiment with different values for the
> rootdelay or add the device option above, I'm planning to 'guix system init'
> with the following patch applied: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/40998,
> which allows providing 'rootflags' directly from the kernel command line
> (thus by editing the GRUB config at boot).

Good work, Maxim!  Your persistence is admirable.

> I'll try to synchronize with Ricardo in the channel and hope they
> weren't too frightened by our last experiment to not shy away from
> trying again :-).

We can make another attempt this week.  Do we need to sync anything
before trying again?  Also: would be nice if we could do “guix system
init” without copying everything again and again whenever we try again…

My toddler has been pretty sick for the past couple of days, and I
haven’t slept enough to be using my brain without hand-holding :) I’ll
try to be around long enough in the eaerly evenings to see to it that
the server reboots fine, but if things go awfully sideways I just cannot
commit to riding the bike to the data centre.  Let’s hope it will just
work fine with your changes to the initrd.

See you later on IRC — I gotta have a nap :)

--
Ricardo