guix-devel

Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 02:34:50 +0000

Hello!

On 2/18/22 05:51, Liliana Marie Prikler wrote:
Am Freitag, dem 18.02.2022 um 01:10 +0000 schrieb Zelphir Kaltstahl:
[...]

Since there was some verification thing with the `guix gc --
verify=contents` command, I will run `guix gc`, delete the whole guix
profile, recreate the profile, and then check again.

~~~~
$ guix gc
$ rm -rf ~/.guix-extra-profiles/emacs-test-profile
$ guix package --manifest="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/emacs-profile-
manifest.scm --profile="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/emacs-profile
$ /bin/bash /home/user/emacs.sh
$ guix package --list-profiles
/home/user/.guix-extra-profiles/emacs-profile
/home/user/.config/guix/current
/home/user/.guix-profile
~~~~

(Note, that I have removed the "-test" part of the name. At some
point I hope for this all to work and then I don't want the "-test"
thing to still remain.)
The script contains:

~~~~
#!/usr/bin/env bash

set -Eeuxo pipefail

# source the environment
GUIX_PROFILE="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}/emacs-profile"
. "${GUIX_PROFILE}/etc/profile"

# run emacs
env XMODIFIERS='' emacs
~~~~
Anything else I can try?
Note that --verify=contents only prints out the warnings that something
is wrong, but does not fix them.  Since repairing the store is
potentially dangerous, you need to --verify=contents,repair as
superuser.  I'm not sure if your sequence of commands actually led to
garbage-collection of the damaged magit.

Cheers

I have tried a mix of `guix gc --verify=contents,repair`, `guix gc`, `guix pull
&& guix package -u`, but I would always still have those finds of inconsistent
hashsums with `guix gc --verify=contents` until I did:

~~~~
$ sudo -i
$ guix gc
$ guix pull && guix package -u
~~~~

Which I think means, that now I am on a different version of guix itself. Now
it does not find any inconsistent hashes with `guix gc --verify=contents`:

~~~~
$ guix gc --verify=contents
reading the store...
checking path existence...
checking hashes...
~~~~

So I deleted and built the emacs profile again using `guix package
--manifest="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/emacs-profile-manifest.scm
--profile="${GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES}"/emacs-profile`.

However, no luck. Still magit cannot be loaded. Still saying that:

~~~~
Unable to activate package ‘magit’.
Required package ‘git-commit-3.3.0’ is unavailable
~~~~

Not sure what else I can try.
Best regards,
Zelphir