guix-devel

Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 17:04:45 +0100

Hi,

Am Samstag, dem 19.02.2022 um 15:43 +0000 schrieb Zelphir Kaltstahl:
> [...]
> Given that I did the guix pull yesterday/today and that the store
> inconsistencies disappeared with that, I have to assume the
> following:
>
> (1) Either my guix installation is broken somehow, although I never
> messed around in the store and only have quite basic usage using
> environments and profiles (actually haven't touched profiles in a
> while and this is the first time in a long time that I have thought I
> should make a profile for something, instead of merely an
> environment), or (2) the command `guix shell -C emacs
> emacs-magit -E TERM -- emacs` does something different, than the
> command, which I use to make a profile and that therefore the results
> are different.
>
> If (1) is the case, then I guess there has to be a bug somewhere in
> guix package manager, which messed things up, since I only use very
> few basic commands of guix to install packages, use environments and
> profiles. It's not like I go into the store and mess around in the
> folders ^^'
>
> If (2) is the case, then I am simply not knowledgeable about guix to
> say what that difference might be.
Note that your profile is a normal directory.  You can ls the files and
everything, so you should be able to find out whether git-commit.el is
broken or any other file is broken, and you should also be able to diff
one version of magit against another.

> I am not sure I really want to somehow remove guix and then reinstall
> it again, because everything else seems to work just fine.
>
> Not sure what to do now. I might have to abandon the project of
> getting reproducible emacs setup using guix again, or simply cannot
> use guix' profile functionality for that.
I'm not sure if Emacs itself is fully reproducible (there has been a
bug in its build IIRC), but I doubt that this is the change you're
seeing.  Note that Guix is not fully resilient against power outages
(despite what John said in his presentation); I personally had empty
files after power outages on two separate machines, which I do
attribute to the file system/disk rather than Guix however.

Cheers.