guix-devel

Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit

From: Liliana Marie Prikler
Subject: Re: Missing dependency for emacs-magit
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 11:39:49 +0100

Hi Zelphir,

Am Dienstag, dem 22.02.2022 um 09:34 +0000 schrieb Zelphir Kaltstahl:
> However, I have now found out, that the `-C` flag is `--container`,
> which I am not using! So I tried to use `--container` with the `guix
> shell` command and, what a surprise, the error in Emacs disappeared!
> Now of course the question is, how does `--container` affect the
> `emacs-magit` package? What is Emacs reading, that affects Magit and
> even prevents it from loading the dependency `git-commit`?
> If I find out more, I'll let you know.
> Best regards and thanks for the patience,
Hi Zelphir,

inside --container, the shell only has access to the current working
directory (as well as potentially other directories you share), and a
limited set of environment variables.  Your shell rc files are still
sourced, but some commands they invoke may fail to have any side
effects (note that shell rc files are often evil when it comes to
normal invocations of `guix environment' or `guix shell', hence why we
now warn about `guix shell --check').  W.r.t. Emacs in particular, any
parts of EMACSLOADPATH coming from outside `guix shell' are now gone.
These should not have any effect on your Emacs whatsoever given the way
things are ordered, but there might be some weird fringe case that is
not accounted for.

I suggest trying magit with different values of EMACSLOADPATH and
seeing what happens.  I'll try to recreate your results using a --pure
shell and sourcing a profile within that, but I'm not sure whether
it'll be reproducible.

Cheers